INDIAN TELEVISION NEWS

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Not so funny after all?

Ayesha Takia

Ritesh Deshmukh being branded as a comic hero has caused a sudden dearth of actresses who are willing to star opposite him in a romantic lead. After the success of his comedies Apna Sapna Money Money, Heyy Baby and De Taali, Ritesh has been tagged as the quintessential comic hero.

Ayesha Takia, who happily played his friend in De Taali, has refused to play the alien who becomes his love interest in Milap Jhaveri’s Jaane Kahan Se Aayi Hai.

Although Ayesha suddenly opting out of the film comes as a big blow, Ritesh has no grudges against Ayesha.

Ritesh Deshmukh

Commenting on why she opted out of Jaane Kahan Se Aayi Hai, Ayesha Takia says, “I can’t do Milap Jhaveri’s film because the schedule got delayed by two months.

I had already given dates to Nagesh Kukunoor’s Tasveer and Prabhu Deva’s Wanted and had no option but to opt out of Jaane Kahan Se Aayi Hai.”

Ritesh says, “I’m aware that in our films, actors who have a romantic image are considered conventional heroes. I tried to do a serious role in Cash, but it didn’t work. Despite my debut as a conventional hero in Tujhe Meri Kasam followed by Vashu Bhagnani’s Out of Control, people still think that I am best for only comic roles.”

“I again play a comic role in Sajid Khan’s Housefull. After Heyy Baby, Sajid plans to pull out all the stops in this comic film along with Akshay Kumar,” he adds.

Even Sujoy Ghosh’s Aladdin, where Ritesh plays the title role has a comic element. “Although I play the title role in Aladdin, it is Amitabh Bachchan who is the focus of the film,” says Ritesh.

I’m aware that in our films, actors who have a romantic image are considered conventional heroes. I tried to do a serious role in Cash, but it didn’t work – Ritesh Deshmukh

No comments: