INDIAN TELEVISION NEWS

Saturday, February 2, 2008

I don't like being told what to do - Shah Rukh Khan

Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan has taken another dig at Union Health Minister Anbumani Ramadoss for the latter's quit-smoking-on-screen appeal to him, saying he does not like anyone telling him what to do and what not to.
Shah Rukh Khan on smoking. "I do not endorse smoking and I do not like anyone telling me personally what to do and what not to do," Khan said in an interview to a news channel.

"You cannot tell me how to earn a packet, you cannot tell me what to eat and what to wear, what not to say to my wife, these are personal things. So, I guard that very jealously," he said.

Ramadoss had, earlier this week, said Khan should not have smoked in the stands while watching a cricket match in Mumbai and that he and Amitabh Bachchan can learn a thing or two from superstar Rajnikanth regarding smoking on screen.

But Khan had this piece of advice for everyone. "I tell children all the time, please do not smoke because it is the worst. If I do not smoke, I would be a big movie star for many, many years to come or maybe I won't be because I smoke that is such a bad thing to do. Do not do it," he pleaded.

Khan (42) has earned the ire of anti-smoking groups on different occasions for lighting up in public in violation of a 2004 ban.

In October, the National Organisation for Tobacco Eradication slapped a legal notice on him asking him to explain his actions after he was spotted smoking at a cricket match and at a media conference.

On rumours of his entry into politics, Khan said despite having a good relationship with the young scions of the Gandhi family, there is no question of joining politics.

"Half of the people think that I am very close to the Congress and am going to join politics. I am very close to Priyanka, Robert and Rahul. I tell everyone, I say this whenever I meet them. Why don't you ask them, are you going to join films," the actor said in the interview to be telecast on Saturday.

"I have another friend who is a software engineer. That does not mean I can design softwares like Azim Premji. So, these are my friends but what they do as a job is incidental to my relationship with them."

Khan, who set a new trend of sporting six-pack abs which he adorned in his last film "Om Shanti Om" said his son prompted him to go for the new look.

"My son told me Papa, you're fat... Though I wasn't, I didn't think I was fat. And I told him that, listen dude, I am not fat, I am okay.

"But he said no, you are fat papa... So I said okay give me some time and as this film required it..."

On his plans this year ahead, Khan said, "This year I would like to dedicate myself to make movies for kids, not childish movies but movie for kids, take technology of Indian cinema further. So I set parameters for myself and I try to work towards that."

No comments: